Central Presbyterian Church was organized as First Presbyterian Church of Eugene on May 5, 1855. In 1851, the Presbyterian Board of Education and Domestic Missions sent the Rev. Geary to the Oregon Territories. Rev. Geary started the Lafayette girls boarding school, served in government positions, and pastored many churches. In 1859 Geary was appointed Superintendent of Indian Affairs by President Buchanan.